CODE OF CONDUCT
The Library Board of Trustees has adopted the following code of conduct to provide a safe, comfortable, and enjoyable library facility.
- Any conduct that disrupts the delivery of library services or hinders others from using library materials is prohibited. (Massachusetts General Laws, Ch. 272, Sec. 41)
- Any conduct that is potentially abusive or harmful to library personnel or patrons, materials or facilities is prohibited.
- The use of false identification to obtain a library card or to check out library materials, or use of another person’s library card without his or her permission, is against state law. (Massachusetts General Laws, Ch. 266, Sec. 99)
- Theft, defacement, or damage of library materials or property is against state law. (Massachusetts General Laws, Ch. 266, Sec.99 and 100)
- Parents can be held liable for damage done by a child under the age of 18. (Massachusetts General Laws, Ch. 231, Sec. 85G)
- Smoking* is not permitted in the Library. (Massachusetts General Laws, Ch. 270, Sec. 22)
Library staff is authorized to enforce this code, and to call for police assistance or contact a parent or guardian when necessary. The Library reserves the right to revoke or restrict Library privileges in cases of violation of the code of conduct.
Approved by the Library Board of Trustees, December 5, 2006
*There is no smoking of any kind in the library including cigarettes, artificial cigarettes, or any use of chewing tobacco.
Approved by the Library Board of Trustees, April 1, 2013