Wetlands Permit

The Conservation Commission is responsible for reviewing and permitting all work (construction, cutting, grading, or new landscaping) in or near wetlands, ponds, and rivers in the Town of Weston under Massachusetts Wetlands Protection Act (310 CMR 10) and its implementing Regulations. Currently, Weston does not have a local wetlands bylaw; however, the Commission has a 25-Foot No Disturb Zone Policy and Application (PDF).

Hearing Schedule and Filing Deadlines

As of June 29, 2021 and until further notice: Pursuant to Chapter 20 of the Acts of 2021, which includes an extension of Governor Baker’s March 12, 2020 Order Suspending Certain provisions of the Open Meeting Law, G.L. c. 30A, §18, all meetings of the Conservation Commission will be held via an online meeting platform. No in-person attendance of members of the public is available but every effort will be made to ensure that the public can adequately access the proceedings in real time including a dial-in option. Upcoming meeting agendas, which include Zoom meeting login information, can be viewed at our Agenda & Minutes Center. Subscribe to receive email/text notification when new Commission agendas are posted online.

Any activity proposed within 100 feet of wetland resource areas (wetlands, ponds, or intermittent streams) or 200 feet from perennial (year-round) streams must be reviewed by the Conservation Commission. The Living with Wetlands brochure (PDF) describes more about the protective zones around ponds, streams and other wetland resources areas in Weston. 

If you are planning a project that involves grading, filling, cutting, or building near a wetland resource area and have questions about which permit you should apply for, please contact the Conservation Department at 781-786-5068.

Request for Determination of Applicability (RDA)

This Application is for minor projects effecting a small portion of the Buffer Zones that will have no impact on the Wetland Resource Area. It is the simplest and least expensive permit application procedure, one most homeowners can fill out on their own. 

An RDA results in a Determination of Applicability. Please review the Checklist for Filing a Request for Determination of Applicability (PDF) for town-specific requirements.

Notice of Intent (NOI)

This Application is for projects involving significant work in the buffer zone or any work in a Wetland Resource Area. An NOI is a more detailed permit application that requires professionally engineered plans and results in a permit called an Order of Conditions (OOC). 

Please review the flyer entitled Applying for a Notice of Intent (PDF) and the Checklist for Filing a Notice of Intent (PDF) for town specific requirements.

Abutter Notification

Applicants filing a Notice of Intent must notify all abutters (any landowner within 100 feet of the property line) by certified mail or Certificate of Mailing. View a Request for Certified Abutters List Form (PDF) online.

Filing Fees

The Town of Weston does not have a separate filing fee. Only the state fee applies.

Recording Information

An Order of Conditions must be recorded at the Middlesex Registry of Deeds (PDF) in Cambridge, or for registered land in the Land Court, no earlier than 10 business days after the issuance of the Order of Conditions by the Conservation Commission along with proof that no appeal of the Order of Conditions has been filed. The Registry fee for recording or registering shall be paid by the owner or applicant. 

Proof of recording this original Order of Conditions must be brought back to the Conservation Commission before the applicant may apply for a Building Permit or commence work on the site.

Closing Out a Permit

To close out a permit, you must submit a Request for Certificate of Compliance. Upon receipt and recording of a Certificate of Compliance signed by the Conservation Commission, the cloud on your title will be released.

Other Wetland Related Laws

Although not administered by the Conservation Commission, there are two wetland-related zoning laws you should be aware of:

Important Wetland Permit Application Documents