The Jones Road Area encompasses a narrow dead-end street off Boston Post Road in the central “village” area of Weston. The area includes seven houses on a total of 1.82 acres of flat land. Houses are small, ranging from 1,188 to 2,587 square feet, on lots ranging from 1/5th to 1/3rd of an acre. The houses represent typical working class houses and have a minimum of architectural detail. Many of the houses have their original small one-car garage. Because houses are relatively consistent in size, massing and setbacks, the area has a general feeling of cohesiveness.
The earliest house on the street, the Eugene and Anna L. White House at 9 Jones Road (1923-24, MHC 1000, Map #1, Photo #1), is a simple gable-front house with a one-story porch across the front. This house type is common in Weston and is often referred to as “farmhouse” style. Both the main roof and porch roof have wide overhanging eaves with open or “show” rafters.
James and Anna J. White House
The James and Anna J. White House at 12 Jones Road (c.1924, MHC 1001, Map #7) and the Jeremiah and Elizabeth Sliney House at 15 Jones Road (c.1923, MHC 1002, Map #2) are “Four-Square” houses with the typical square massing, hip roof, and one-story porch.
In both houses the porches have been enclosed. No. 16 Jones Road (c.1927, MHC 1003, Map #6, Photo #2) exemplifies another type of popular small house from the 1910s and 1920s, the simple 1-1/2-story bungalow. In this example, the porch has been enclosed and living space has been increased by adding a large hipped dormer.
No. 18 Jones Road (c.1928, MHC 1004, Map #5) is Colonial in style and 21 Jones Road (c.1927, MHC 1006, Map #4, Photo #3) is a typical 1920s “Dutch” Colonial with gambrel roof and pent eave.
Learn the significance of this area to Weston's history.